WELCOME TO LIFE IN THE FAST LANE!

This website is dedicated to helping me update my knowledge of Technology especially in the areas of information and communication systems.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Hi-Tech Seniors...dedicated to Mum & Dad



Quite often a visit to my parents home involves seeing the latest DVD they have burned, or a DVD they have transferred from an older video via their interconnected components of technology, listening to a recently burned CD, or viewing an email with a recently acquired picture attached. Yes, my parents are "Hi-Tech Seniors".

In their retirement years they have taken on the hobby of learning the latest technology and done very well at it! For my Dad, spending 37 years working in the television industry...from the first sign on of live television in Moncton, to film, video tape, cable television, satellite, all those years in his career of technological change, the hobby came natural. For my Mum, the retired math teacher, like a challenging math problem, she dove into learning the ins and outs of technology as well. Emails became a daily joy of keeping in touch with friends both near and far, whether sharing news or a joke.

Many studies show that one of the fastest growing groups of internet users are seniors.

The top Internet activities among seniors who go online: 93% of wired seniors have used email; 58% have gotten hobby information online; 55% have read the news online; 53% have searched for health and medical information online; 53% have browsed the Web "just for fun"; and 53% have checked weather updates, according to Whotspot WiFi Solutions, an American Wi-Fi service provider.

Our Federal Government Public Health Agency of Canada provides seniors with Fact Sheets on Technology with information on such topics as; telecommunications, banking, computing, health care and technology safety. These resources provide a wealth of information to educate seniors with questions on technology.

Now if there was only a technological means for my mother to email me one of her home made donuts to have with my coffee as I work on my computer!

No comments: